Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together
Bonhoeffer's Life Together is definitely in my top 5 favorites. I wish I were half as smart as him. I love the above quote and find it appropriate for what we have been discussing in church lately. Throughout the summer, Jonathan and Curt have been teaching through our three core values at The Village Church...gospel, community, and mission. We parked on missions most recently and Jonathan spoke specifically about our church's call to mercy ministry or social justice or whatever people are calling it these days (I'm sticking with social justice). I feel that often we become too focused on the external process of social justice and do not as readily address the internal motivations that drive our actions. I love that I am a part of a church that continually articulates both. Jonathan and Curt have driven home the idea that we want to be a church that serves the marginalized and oppressed for the Gospel's sake, NOT merely to feel good about ourselves or check off our service-project-for-the-year box. It's a lifestyle of seeking to relieve others in their distress, because that is what God has done and continues to do for us. To live differently is to paint a false picture of the Gospel, but to live in accordance is to illustrate to others the beautiful picture of Jesus saving us from our mess.
This Saturday we have our first service project for The Village Church and so far about 45 of us are heading to the English Avenue area in west Atlanta to restore a widow's home and play with the kids in the neighborhood. I am excited that this is not a one time deal, but the start of a new relationship with this particular neighborhood in Atlanta. We are going to continue to serve the area and partner with the local church in their neighborhood. (I will post pictures after the weekend.) I hope and pray that we will be a people that are "lured" to the lowly and needy not because it is the trendy thing to do these days, but because that is where God found us.
Carlyn,
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited I finally decided to read your blog... well, I guess finally remembered would be a better way to put it. Who knew you had such a gift for writing? :)
Anyways, #1. I think you should add a box on here to subscribe by e-mail. That way, I'll get an e-mail whenever you update your blog, which means I'll remember to read it, which will make me very, very happy.
#2. We should catch up soon. I'd love to hear all about life... much more detail than this blog contains. Our church in Jacksonville, River City Church, is planting a church in Jacksonville Beach, Ocean City Church. I'd love to chat more about it with you!! Do you have skype?????
Love you, miss you, let's catch up SOON!
Lesley
Maybe I should have spent more time writing than chiseling rocks huh? I added to you to my list of people that get email updates-thanks for the self-esteem booster. Yes, let's definitely catch up soon-apparently you went to Costa Rica or some country lately? Need to hear about that and your church! No skype but would totally get it to talk to you. That would do wonders to the laziness of our friendship!!! Love you!!
ReplyDelete