Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Other Part of My Life

On the church front, we are talking through launch Sunday which is coming up September 12th! The fog machines and strobe lights are in route via UPS, and Teasley may liftoff itself with all the helium we're bringing in. Only teasing. I may up the number of visitor cards and nametags I set out, but other than that, things will look pretty similar to how they are now-simple. The service project I wrote about in my previous post was actually post-poned to the following Saturday due to predicted rainy weather that never showed up. I hear it was a productive and fun day. I didn't actually attend myself because my mom and sister already had a trip planned to the big city that weekend to see Jack Johnson in concert. So my Saturday may have involved Lenox and JCT rather than English Avenue, but the fact that I'm confessing should count for something. It was great to have part of the family up, and fun to have them join me at The Village Church on Sunday.

The other half of my life which is spent in the world of counseling is quite interesting. Since most of the dollars of support I have received have gone to filling up my gas guzzler of a vehicle to drive to Wellspring in Peachtree City, I thought it would be appropriate to fill you in on that half.

I currently have five girls I see between the ages of 14 and 16. All of these girls have been sexually exploited in some way, most commonly through forced prostitution. We have licensed counselors on staff that do trauma counseling with the girls, while interns (like myself) focus more on establishing goals for their future, as well as lots of empathetic listening. I meet with each of them once a week for an hour. Also, once a week I lead an Art Therapy group which has proven to be challenging yet insightful. Obviously, I am very limited in what I can share concerning the girls, but I would love to share a few things I have learned in the process on a later date. In the meantime, I added a promotional video for Wellspring that you can checkout to learn more.

We have all kinds of needs at Wellspring, so if you have any interest in serving in this area, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment