In case you have no idea of what my whole blog thing is even about, and since I have apparently succumb to the narcissism of blogging...let me catch you up on what is going on with my life. The last four years I have had the privilege of working in the student ministry at The Church of the Apostles in Atlanta, GA, while pursuing a Masters in counseling at Richmont Graduate University. I am forever grateful for such an incredible four-year journey. During my time at The Church of the Apostles, I worked alongside an extraordinary staff of people, including two gentlemen, Jonathan Adams and Curt Benham. After many years in student ministry, both of them resigned in January to pursue the challenging call of church planting. And so began the birthing stage of a new church located in northwest Atlanta, The Village Church at Vinings. In May, I joined Curt and Jonathan in their mission to establish The Village Church as the administrative assistant.
I'm not gonna lie...I was pretty nervous about becoming the administrative assistant for legitimate reasons. For starters, I am not your typical type-A, excel-loving employee. My only jobs had consisted of hanging out with students and playing at camp. Secondly, you have to have people that actually give to your church before you can pay your employees, and we didn't even have a church yet. So raising support in place of a salary is what I have been doing since May. That subject alone will get the respect it's due, and have a post all to itself.
Three months in, I can say that this has turned out to be the perfect job for me (Curt and Jonathan may beg to differ...but I doubt it). This past June I began my last year of graduate school which entails a year long internship. Twice a week I travel to Peachtree City to my internship site, Wellspring for Girls, a residential treatment program for adolescent girls coming out of the sex trafficking industry. Also, one night a week I see clients at Richmont's counseling center along with a few classes each semester. So all of that to say...I needed a 3-day a week, somewhat "lighter" job, which is exactly what my administrative role has been thus far. It is quite the experience and privilege to be a part of this whole church planting thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment